Bitter and cold2 MERIDIANS
Lung, gall bladder, stomach and large intestine3 FUNCTIONS
- To clear heat and dry dampness;
- To reduce fire and release toxins;
- To stop bleeding and calm fetus.
- Damp-heat syndromes:
- damp-heat febrile disease-Scutellaria root (Huang Qin) is used with Talc (Hua Shi) and Rice paper pith (Tong Cao);
- jaundice-Scutellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Capejasmine (Zhi Zi), Oriental wormwood (Yin Chen Hao) and Bamboo leaf (Zhu Ye);
- dysentery or diarrhea-Scutellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Coptis root (Huangqin);
- boils, carbuncles and furuncles-suctellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Honeysuckle flower (Jin Yin Hua) and Trichosanthes root (Tian Hua Fen).
- Cough due to heat in the lungs. Scutellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Muberry bark (Sang Bai Pi) and Anemarrhena rhizome (Zhi Mu).
- Hemorrhage due to heat in the blood manifested as vomiting with blood, epistaxis, hematuria and uterine bleeding. The carbonized Scutellaria root (Huangqin) is prepared and used with Fresh rehmannia root (Sheng Di Huang), Imperata rhizome (Bainaogen) and Biota tops (Ce Bai Ye).
- Threatened abortion (restless fetus). Scutellaria root (Huangqin) is used with Chinese angelica root (Dang Gui) and White atractylodes (Bai Zhu).
This herb is contraindicated in cases with deficiency cold of the spleen and stomach. The raw herb is used to calm the fetus by clearing heat, the herb stir-baked in wine is used to stop bleeding, and the carbonized herb clears heat in the upper jiao.